Feu et fumée
Welcome to the thematic guide on fire and smoke. The guide contains Background or External Information, and Primary Sources depicting fire and smoke in textual (often newspapers) and graphic format (often photographs).
To learn more about the resources listed here, please click the external links or images provided to be sent to their institutional pages.
* These sources are unfortunately behind a paywall.
- "Montreal illustrated, or, The Stranger's guide to Montreal: a complete hand-book, directing visitors where to go, when to go, and how to go through the city and suburbs, containing a fine map of the city, showing the distane from the center to the different points", 1875, BAnQ
- Canadiana, "Fighting the flames! or, Twenty-seven years in the Montreal fire brigade", by William Orme McRobie, 1881
- The Weekly Examiner, Sherbrooke, "The Dark Day", March 18, 1887, BAnQ
- Quebec Morning Chronicle, "Special from Ottawa", September 7 1881
- Quebec Morning Chronicle, August 24 1877, BAnQ
- The Quebec Chronicle, "Smoke and Dust", January 1 1907, BAnQ
- The Quebec Chronicle, "Correspondence", January 25 1907, BAnQ
- The Quebec Chronicle, "No Forest Fires Near Montreal", June 4 1923, BAnQ
- The Quebec Chronicle, "Rain Needed to Save Situation in Forest Areas", June 4 1923, BAnQ
- The Quebec Chronicle, "Twenty-five percent Reduction in Fires", April 24 1924, BAnQ
- The Quebec Chronicle, "The Smokeless City", June 17 1910, BAnQ
- The Quebec Chronicle, "Forest Fires are Very Bad", July 6 1921, BAnQ
- Sherbrooke Daily Record, "Alarm is Felt Owing to Many Forest Fires", September 12 1922, BAnQ
- Sherbrooke Daily Record, "Rain Checks Progress of Many Bush Fires", June 5 1923, BAnQ
- Sherbrooke Daily Record, "Forest Fire Situation is Greatly Improved", June 4 1923, BAnQ
- Sherbrooke Daily Record, "Mercury Drops to 26 Below 0", December 22 1924, BAnQ
For more information: Collection P028, Archives de Montreal
DISCLAIMER: The information provided by DRAW on this page is for general informational purposes only. DRAW does not claim to hold ownership or copyright to the texts or images shown and instead aims to act as a portal for further discovery.